U-22 Japan redirects here. For the U-20 team, see Japan Youth. For the Olympic team, see Olympic Japan. For the national team, see Japan national football team.
U-22 Japan (U-22日本, U-22 nippon) is the Japanese selection team that represents Japan in the preliminary qualifier rounds in order to classify for the Madrid Olympics.
In this particular selection team, all overseas players were not called except for Wakabayashi, who was forbidden to play for Hamburger SV due to differences with his coach, and was the regular keeper and captain.
Since Hyuga, Tsubasa and Shingo Aoi were not playing, the tactics and gamemaking were given to the "3M" formation, with vice-captain Matsuyama, gamemaker Misaki and tactician Misugi, as core of the Japanese team. Also this was the opportunity of having brand-new players which are not part of the Golden Age, former Real Japan 11 players, such as Yuji Soga, Gakuto Igawa and the "Futsal Combi" Furukawa and Kazami. Since Coach Kira was making many experiments for consolidating the team, and Wakabayashi
Also, Coach Kira gave Ken Wakashimazu the chance to alternate from keeper to the offensive with Shun Nitta, forming the "Wakadoryu Combi". This was because Wakashimazu had a shoot potential similar to Hyuga on grade school, and also because he had being training with Nitta in his father's dojo in order to develop new offensive techniques.
Practice matches Edit
- ○ U-22 Japan 4 - 2 U-22 Denmark ●
- Δ U-22 Japan 2 - 2 U-22 Nigeria Δ
- ○ U-22 Japan 3 - 0 U-22 Paraguay ●
Asian Olympics preliminaries Edit
These matches are home-and-away
3rd round These matches are home-and-away
- Δ U-22 Japan 2 - 2 Greece national team Δ
- Coach Kozo Kira
- ↑ Wakabayashi was the U-22 team's captain until he got injured in the match against Australia.
- ↑ Wakashimazu was registered as both goalkeeper and forward in the U-22 team.
- ↑ Jito was injured during the friendly match against Denmark. He later gave Gakuto the number "5" uniform.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Tsubasa, Aoi, Hyuga and Soga returned to join the practice match against Greece's national team.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Nakanishi and Yumikura were selected for the friendly matches, but didn't make it in the final 23.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Those players joined the training camp, but weren't selected at any points.